About the results of holding the 3rd Meeting of the Japan-Russia Tourism Exchange Promotion Council
Last Update : 2010/3/24
Based on the “Program concerning the reinforcement of cooperation in the field of tourism between the governments of Japan and the Russian Federation (signed in November 2005 by both governments), the Japan-Russia Tourism Exchange Promotion Council held its 3rd meeting in Moscow on March 19 (Friday).
At this council meeting, JTA Vice-Commissioner Masaaki Kai (representing Japan) and Vice-Minister Latikov of the Russian Federal Agency for Tourism (representing Russia), together with the persons concerned from the public and private sectors of both countries, vigorously exchanged opinions about promoting tourism exchange between Japan and Russia in the future, and reached the following agreement:
1. About mutual cooperation for tourism promotion projects, etc.
The tourism authorities of both countries will mutually cooperate at the request of the other party by working with their own country’s tourism-related organizations, tourism-related business operators, and media or in other ways, with regard to the following promotion projects for attracting travelers:
- JATA World Travel Expo (September 2010, Tokyo) where Russia will prepare an exhibit
- Travel Expo (2011, Moscow) where Japan will prepare an exhibit
- Seminars and site inspection tours conducted by Japan and Russia for tourism-related business operators and media of the other country
- Technical support project for Russian tourism-related business operators implemented by the Japanese government through the “Japan Center”
- Development and promotion of medical tourism programs (tours) from Russia to Japan
The tourism authority of each country will also consider establishing overseas branches of the other country’s national tourism office in its own country, as well as establishing a window of its diplomatic missions abroad in the other country for strengthening the cooperation and alignment between the tourism authorities of both countries.
2. About improving the environment in which to expand tourism exchange
As a means of improving the environment in which to expand tourism exchange between both countries, the tourism authority of each country will promote activities (1) and (2) described below, and also provide cooperation as necessary for activity (3) below.
(1) Securing the safety of travelers
(2) Providing signs and information in multiple languages for transportation and lodging facilities
(3) Simplifying visa procedures
3. About preparing the “Japan-Russia Tourism Cooperation Program (tentative name)
In view of the topics described under 1. and 2. above, the tourism authority of each country will initiate work to prepare the “Japan-Russia Tourism Cooperation Program (tentative name)” by specifying the goals relative to expanding the number of people involved in mutual exchange from both countries and the projects to be implemented by both countries in cooperation, in order to achieve said goals.
4. Timing and place for the next meeting
The next meeting will tentatively be held in Japan in the autumn of 2011.